Butterless Butter Chicken
A surprisingly easy butter chicken recipe (without butter!) as taught
to me by my friend's Pakistani mom.
For 6 servings
See "Notes" section for items with a *
- 2 pounds of chicken
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 3 tbsp of plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of half and half cream
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 packet of butter chicken spice mix
- 2 cups of dry rice
- Mix lemon juice, yogurt, cooking oil, spice mix, and toss the
chicken in it.
- Let the chicken marinate for 1-3 hours
- Cook rice however you want.
- Empty the tomato paste into a bowl, fill the can with water and pour
it in, and mix.
- Toss the chicken onto a frying pan on medium heat and cook for 3
- Pour the tomato paste / water onto the chicken. Cover and cook for
20 minutes on low heat.
- Add cream, stir everything together, and serve.
Butter chicken spice mix can be find at almost every Indian grocery
and convenience store.
It'll look something like this.